I was really excited to bake this, not only because they were mojitos, but also because it’s my own ORIGINAL recipe. Woot woot!
Lime and mint cupcakes with raspberry rum filling, topped with rum buttercream frosting!
NOTE: This is the second of my Boozy Bakes series!!! (First one can be found here: Irish Reindeers)
ALSO, I’ve been invited to attend Angie’s (thenovicegardener.wordpress.com) Friday Fiesta virtual party, where cooking/baking bloggers submit their recipes. It’s their first year anniversary for Friday Fiesta, so I’ll be submitting these delicious mojito cupcakes!
INGREDIENTS (makes 30 cupcakes)
For the sponge:
- 4 limes
- 120g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 395g caster sugar
- 240g (8 ½ oz) plain flour
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 300ml whole milk
- Lots of mint sprigs!
- 3 large eggs
For the raspberry rum filling:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rum
For the frosting:
- 255g unsalted butter
- 3.5 cups of icing sugar
- As much rum as you want!!
- For the raspberry rum filling, put all the ingredients into a pan and let it simmer. Mash all the raspberries until it forms a jam-like form. Leave to cool in refrigerator.
- Bring the milk and mint to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Leave to cool completely
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas mark 5, and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Whisk butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt on a low speed until the texture of breadcrumbs
- Whisk the milk and eggs together
- Add into the dry ingredients
- Zest four limes and juice them. Fold in both the zest and 3 tbsp of the lime juice into the mixture.
- Divide the batter between the paper cases, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for 18 minutes
- When cupcakes are cool, use your cupcake corer (or knife) to core the cupcakes
- Fill the cupcake holes with your raspberry filling
- Pipe your rum frosting on and decorate! 🙂
Raspberry rum filling!
I hope you try this recipe and give me some feedback! It was so much fun baking these, and I hope you will too!
Have a freshly-baked Monday ❤