Chinese New Year cupcakes: Black sesame with white chocolate matcha buttercream frosting!
I’ve been waiting so loooonnngggg to make this, and I thought it would be suitable to make these for Chinese New Year!!! Woo hoo!
Warning: the matcha frosting was absolutely delicious so DO NOT EAT IT ALL BEFORE PIPING 😛
For the cupcake (inspired by Sprinklebakes):
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp cup olive oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g ground black sesame
For the frosting (inspired by Cupcake Jemma‘s recipe!):
- 90g melted white chocolate
- 120g soft unsalted butter
- 270g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 30g matcha powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the oil and sugar together
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and ground black sesame.
- Add in the dry mixture and mix until batter will be thick.
- Place batter into cupcake cases and bake for 16 minutes.
- For the frosting, first melt the white chocolate.
- Whisk the butter until pale and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar until mixed thoroughly. Add in the vanilla extract and then add in the melted white chocolate. Finally, fold in the matcha powder.
Have a freshly-baked Matcha Monday!