Happy Chinese New Year!
Amanatsu oolong tea infused cupcakes with orange buttercream frosting
This Lunar New Year, Kezzybakes is sticking to traditional citrus notes. Amanatsu is a Japanese orange hybrid and is known in Japanese as kawano natsu daidai (カワノナツダイダイ). They’re the size of grapefruits and are commonly used in marmalade.
This is a Kezzybakes original recipe (actually, more credit goes to Kelley)!
For the cupcakes:
- Lupicia amanatsu oolong tea leaves/ oolong tea leaves
- 80g unsalted butter
- 280 caster sugar
- 240 plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 180g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Melt butter in a saucepan. When butter is completely melted, remove pan from heat and infuse 5 tsp of tea leaves in it for 3 minutes
- After three minutes, strain the butter to separate it from the tea leaves. Gently press the butter out of the tea leaves
- Mix the sugar and melted butter together
- In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder
- Take around 2 tbsp of tea leaves and grind into small pieces. Then, sift the little pieces of tea leaves into the dry mixture
- Whisk milk and eggs into another bowl. Add in vanilla extract
- Add in the dry mixture and the milk-egg mixture into the butter-sugar mixture in batches, alternating each time
- Divide batter into cupcake cases and bake for 16-20 minutes, depending on your oven
- For the frosting, whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar in sections until smooth. Whisk in the orange extract.
You can also 拜年 with these cupcakes, instead of oranges 😛 There will be more smiles, and hopefully, more money in your red packet!!
Also, a shoutout to Kelley, my batter half! This lent, she has decided to do a ’40 Days of Thankfulness’. For each day of the season of lent, she will write a note to a person she is thankful for.
So, this is just a little note to her too: Master Wong, you are an amazing baker and you have a very big heart. Also, I think you are a better baker than me! So thank you for being my friend, my punching bag, my pillow and my dustbin. ILY and HAPPY CNY ❤