Lavender cupcakes with early grey filling and vanilla frosting
A combination of my favourite flavours! In case you haven’t noticed already, I am a fan of flower scents, and I’m crazy enough to want to eat them! I’ve done rose cupcakes before, and am thinking of venturing into jasmine…
INGREDIENTS (makes 12-16 cupcakes)
For the cupcakes:
- Dried Lavender
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 280 caster sugar
- 240 self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting(s)
- 180g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 30g earl grey tea powder
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Add 3 tsp of lavender into the milk and let it soak for 2 hours
- Mix the sugar and oil together
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 3 tsp of lavender
- Whisk eggs into the milk, and add in the vanilla extract
- Add in the dry mixture and the milk-egg mixture into the butter-sugar mixture in batches, alternating each time
- Divide batter into cupcake cases and bake for 16-20 minutes, depending on your oven
- For the earl grey frosting filling, whisk the 90g of butter until light and fluffy. Add 250g icing sugar in sections until smooth. Add in the earl grey tea powder.
- Using a cupcake corer, core the inside of the cupcakes. Pipe the earl grey frosting into the holes.
- For the vanilla frosting, whisk the 90g of butter until light and fluffy. Add in 250g icing sugar in sections until smooth. Add vanilla extract. Frost on top.
Have a freshly-baked Monday!