Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile, exams are looming and I’ve been revising 😦
The cupcake sponge recipe was taken from Kawaiisweetworld – the recipe was amazing! The cupcakes turned out so fluffy and moist!!
For the cupcake sponge:
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup regular milk + 1 T white vinegar)
½ cup sour cream, room temperature
2 T coffee (can also substitute 2 T hot water)
1 ¾ cup flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
For the frosting:
- 250g unsalted, softened butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 100g nutella spread
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla extract. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee/water. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Alternatively add dry and wet ingredients to creamed butter and sugar mixture, beginning with ½ of the dry, then all of the wet, and finally the rest of the dry. Do not overmix.
5. Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 of the way full. Add in a Ferrero Rocher, and then add a tbsp of the batter on top of the FR.
6. Bake at 170C for 20-25 min, then let cool completely before frosting
7. For the frosting, whisk butter until pale yellow and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar in batches and then whisk in the nutella and vanilla extract.