Lemon fairy cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting
I baked these cupcakes for a friend’s inter-college quidditch bake sale – yes, it is a sport and no, they fly with a broom between a stick their legs.
For the cupcakes
- 100g unsalted butter softened
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
For the frosting
- 200g unsalted butter softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the decoration
- Yellow edible sprinkles
METHOD (inspired by Nigella Lawson)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gradually add the eggs, and whisk them one by one.
- Carefully fold in the flour and baking powder
- Fill cupcake cases with 1 tbsp of batter
- Bake in the oven for 14 – 18 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool
- For the frosting, whisk the butter until pale yellow and fluffy. Fold in the icing sugar batch by batch, and add in the milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Pipe the buttercream frosting on the cupcakes and sprinkle some sprinkles on the frosting.
- For the snitch wings, carefully trace out a picture of the wings and cut the shape out. Roll out the fondant and cut according to the shape that you have drawn out.
- Insert a party pick into each wing. Using the blunt end of a knife, make some lines across the fondant wings, such that they look like feathers. Let the fondant harden overnight.
- Insert a wing on each side of the cupcake, and you’re done!