Mocha cupcakes with white chocolate matcha buttercream frosting!
For the cupcake sponge (Hummingbird cupcake recipe)
- 100g self-raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp coffee powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 60g white chocolate
- 20g matcha powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder and baking powder together
- In another bowl, whisk, the egg, milk and vanilla extract together
- Whisk in the dry and wet ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture, alternating each time
- Spoon batter into each cupcake case until 2/3 full and bake from 15-17 minutes.
- For the frosting, whisk the butter until pale yellow and fluffy. Mix in the icing sugar batch by batch and whisk slowly – this is to prevent creating what I call a ‘sugar cloud’! Add in the melted white chocolate and matcha powder and whisk until smooth. For a smoother consistency, add in a tsp of whole milk.
- When the cupcakes are cool and the frosting is ready, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes!
Have a freshly-baked Monday,