Yes, I’m back with a new post.
Seems slightly odd after months of silence (I’ve mostly been on my instagram – www.instagram.com/mondaybakeoff) , but I’ve decided to revive my blog, and this time I’m starting with a Pavlova!
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar (I found that lemon juice also works, but not as well as the vinegar. The acid is essentially there to help stabilise the meringue)
- 500ml double cream
- Fresh fruits to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 150C/Gas mark 2
- On parchment paper, outline two 8-inch circles with a pencil
- Whisk your egg whites in a grease-free metal bowl until they form soft peaks. Turn your bowl over your head and if it doesn’t fall – you’re good!
- Continue to whisk the egg whites, this time adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time until you get stiff glossy peaks
- Fold in your corn starch and vinegar
- Spoon the meringue onto the two circles
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, and then set aside to cool
- While your pavlovas are cooling, whisk your cream until stiff peaks form
- Plop the cream onto your pavlovas and decorate with your favourite fruits!
Meringues have always been a favourite of mine to bake, partly because it only needs eggs and sugar (and therefore I don’t have to go to the grocery store to get butter or flour…) and mostly because my housemates LOVE meringues. It’s a constant on the living room table!
Hope you enjoy the recipe and have a freshly-baked monday!