What do you get when you cross coffee beans with cookies? Cookie beans!
I saw these in a bakery a long time ago, and since then I’ve always wanted to try to make them on my own. So for this Friday Fiesta, I’ve tweaked my shortbread cookie recipe (which you can find in this blog as well) to make mocha coffee bean cookies! Hope you enjoy!
- 90g unsalted butter (softened)
- 85g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp coffee extract/warm instant coffee
- 160g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- Preheat your oven to 180C, gas mark 4
- Whisk your butter and icing sugar together until smooth
- Add in the egg yolk and coffee extract
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, and whisk until evenly mixed. This batter tends to be a little on the dry side and it may not clump together properly even after whisking. But don’t worry, because you just need to knead it a little with your hands and it will stick together.
- Roll out 1 inch balls of cookie batter, and then using your palms, mould them gently into an oval
- Then, take a toothpick and press it gently along the diameter of the oval
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes