- 70g icing sugar, sieved
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small egg yolk
- 125g butter, softened
- 190g plain flour, sifted
- Blue/ pink/ purple gel food colouring
- Buttercream (any flavour)
- Edible silver balls
- Flower cookie cutter
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and line your baking sheet with non-stick baking paper
- Whisk the butter until smooth
- Add in the icing sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolk into a mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth
- Add the flour and mix into a firm dough. Do not worry if the mix looks crumby. When you start kneading it, it will stick together.
- Add in the food colouring and knead until well combined
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Personally, I use icing sugar to flour the surface so that it will taste sweeter!
- Cut some flowers out with the flower cookie cutter
- Then cut off two of the ‘petals’ to make a seashell
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on how big your cookies are. Keep an eye on the cookies and take them out when the edges turn light brown.
- After the cookies have been taken out of the oven, while it is still hot, use a toothpick to make lines across the cookies. This will help to make the seashell lines
- When cooled, turn some of the cookies upside down. Pipe your buttercream on and add an edible silver ball to make the pearl. Place another seashell cookie the right side up on top of this!