It’s already end April, but Durham is still welcoming the every familiar sound of hail, snow and rain. If this is spring, I don’t know what summer will be like!
Nevertheless, I can still make it summer in the kitchen with this lemon and passionfruit genoise sponge cake!
- 6 large eggs
- 75g melted butter
- 225g all purpose flour, sifted
- 165g caster sugar
- lemon curd
- 150g softened unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 5 passionfruits
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas mark 4/350F
- Over a double boiler, whisk eggs and sugar over an electric whisk for 8 minutes or until the egg mixture forms a thick ribbon
- Remove from heat and whisk until cooled
- Add in the melted butter and gently fold in, being careful not to beat the air out of the eggs
- Fold in the sifted flour
- Divide cake batter among three 8 inch cake pans
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes
- For the passionfruit buttercream, whisk the butter until pale and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar in three batches of 100g and whisk until smooth. Add the passionfruit juice (press through a sift to prevent the seeds from getting in) into the buttercream and give it a final whisk
- Assemble the cake, spreading the lemon curd and passionfruit buttercream in between the layers.