For the cupcake:
Recipe tweaked from Joy of Baking
- 85g caster sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 35g valrhona cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium sized banana (mashed)
- 120ml warm water
- 60ml milk
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
- Mix the oil, sugar and vanilla extract together until combined
- Whisk in the egg, milk, water and banana until well mixed
- Fold in all the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over-mix as this will cause the gluten to develop and make the batter too thick
- Fill the cupcake cases until 3/4 full, and bake for 12-17 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
*As each oven is different, the baking time may vary. So make sure to keep an eye on the cupcakes after 10 minutes of baking.
For the Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting:
- 3 egg whites
- 50g caster sugar
- 120g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Electric whisk (you must have this!)
- 3 tbsp cookie butter/ speculoos spread
- Whisk the egg whites and caster sugar over a double boil until mixture is warm and all the sugar has dissolved. If using a candy thermometer, the temperature of the mixture should be about 35C. Be careful to whisk constantly, to prevent the egg whites from cooking!
- Remove from heat and whisk the meringue until it forms glossy stiff peaks
- Add in the butter cubes one by one while whisking
- While the butter will initially cause the buttercream to separate (curdling), simply continue to whisk until it comes together again and becomes smooth. You will need a little patience for this!
- Whisk in the speculoos spread until well combined. Feel free to add in more or less of the speculoos.